Thursday, January 8, 2015

Introduction to Professor Alkahest and His Blog

As the world continues to grow and change, and as more and more people add their thoughts and ideas to the conversations being carried on throughout the world, I become more and more inclined to add my thoughts to the mix.  I don't do this because my thoughts are always correct, but because putting them out there sharpens me, and I am hoping will sharpen other thinkers who converse with me.  So, please feel free as I post my thoughts each day to comment in agreement or disagreement with anything I have said.  All opinions are welcome provided that they are expressed without vulgarity or threat of violence to anyone.

My posts will deal mostly with my interests.  These include theology (I am Christian), politics (I am libertarian leaning but not affiliated with any organized party), science (I am a professor of chemistry at a mid-sized university), and sports (mostly running and baseball).  If any of these topics interest you, hopefully you will find some though provoking conversations on this page.

I call myself Professor Alkahest rather than using my real name because some of what I will post here will be controversial.  People with opinions like mine sometimes draw threats and I will seek to avoid that if possible.  That being said, there may already be enough information in these paragraphs for some of you to figure out who I am, and I won't panic if word gets out.

If you are wondering about the word Alkahest, it is an ancient word associated with the art/science of alchemy, the grandfather art to modern chemistry.  It was thought of as "the power from above" to distill any substance down to its essence particles, the "universal solvent".  At its best, I hope this blog will serve in that capacity for ideas, distilling them down to their essence, and examining them for their value and merit in today's society.

I will try to get something new up here at least a few times each week.  Please keep stopping back :-) and like me on facebook.  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Professor-Alkahest/576163565847894 

No comments:

Post a Comment